Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 3.1- Here we go again

A lot to catch up on...

When I last posted, I was trying to be mindful of my calorie intake. My hypothesis was that if I broke my meals and snacks roughly into 100 calorie bundles, it would be easier to keep track of it in my head, with out needing to log food or look up stuff. It actually worked! As long as I was honest about what was really 100 calories - like, half of certain kinds of cookies, even though they looked so small... Really quite deceiving, actually. There should be a law against that...

Any way, it was a little harder to keep track of how many 100 bundles I ate than I thought it would be, And I did sort of resort to a tally sheet, but it was way easier than other types of logging I've done in the past. The most important thing it did for me was provide a clear signal that I was out of calories for the day, so when I crashed in front of the tv at night I really had to be careful of snacks. If I was starving, I snacked in 100 bundles, so I didn't binge on 500 calories with a big bag of sunchips in one sitting... And then need a chocolate bar to balance out the salt. Because that's how it works when you binge at night - in for a penny, in for a pound

(Or ten...

On my butt...)

I lost four pounds in a week, and for those of you following along in my struggle, you may notice that is the most I was able to loose that quickly.

And then, a diet disaster occurred. I came down with a nasty cold / sinus infection, which required gallons of orange juice and vegging on the couch... And as we all know, no good can come from that. Let the boredom binge begin!!!

I got over it pretty quickly, thanks to a nasty tasting herb called oil of oregano. However, it is sooooo obnoxious that it requires a strong chaser. In this case the only thing that worked was...you guessed it...sunchips. Harvest Cheddar, to be exact. Took about half a bag. The big bag. To review: nasty cold + gallon of OJ + bag o' chips + laying on couch + regular comfort meals = thousands of calories per day.

All my hard work - those four beautiful lost pounds - wiped out. Frankly, I gave up.

The bright side was my supportive, loving, thoughtful, deeply spiritual fiancé, made me feel beautiful and sexy, no matter what. In some ways, that is motivation to try again, to be at my very best for him, but I couldn't wrap my head around getting started again. And I was so busy that I ate out a lot. Another diet killer.

Meanwhile, I observed several more important things:

1. Nutrition theory (cause, frankly, it's all over the place so to me it's all a bunch of theory's - no real fact has been proven to my satisfaction. So, I try it all...) is moving back to the three meals a day with no snacks, rather than the "grazing" that was touted about a year ago. It has to do with how insulin controls energy and the cycles of fat storage and burning. I'm not describing it right - but Kerry does, and I trust her. :-)

2. I've watched two incredibly smart, down to earth, non-fad-following women lose weight quickly. These are not women who would take risks with their health, and are clear headed about their choices in life.

3. Other women started asking me when I would blog again and said that they missed it. One even told me how it had motivated her to get to the gym (and she looks great too! I would kill for her legs!)

Women are often accused of being catty and competitive, but in this case it is the support and collaboration of other women that really motivated ME to try this One More Time. (Plus, I need to order my wedding dress next month AND, probably the biggest motivator of all, my damn fat pants are way too tight. Couldn't walk in them. Ouch.)

So, thank you ladies. By sharing your own thoughts and experiences with me, I'm back at it.

And thank you, Eric, for loving me no matter what.

Now, remember the ladies in #2 above?

How'd they do it? Tune in to the next installment...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Red Mountain Fwy,Mesa,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment